December 23, 2015

Star Wars : The Force Awakens

I'm very proud to have been a part of the making of this film and honored to have been part of such an incredible design team. The Star Wars crew was the most incredible art team I've ever worked with. Across the board, from concept to build, the level of talent involved was just astounding. And I'll beat the drum that always seems to need beating when movies are released: film is a collaborative medium. This was especially true of The Force Awakens. I was part of a huge roster of concept and production artists spread out across the globe--San Francisco, London, and Los Angeles--under the guidance of the brilliant production designers Rick Carter and Darren Gilford to realize J.J. Abrams' vision for the new Star Wars. I spent about a year working on Episode 7 in Los Angeles with the mighty Fausto De Martini and Rick Carter, about 6 months of which was at Bad Robot before J.J. left for principal photography. I spent the other half of my time working remotely with Darren Gilford and the phenomenal SF and London teams. Pick up The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens if you want a sense of what we did for the film and a brief chronicle of its making from a design standpoint. I dare say it barely scratches the surface, but that doesn't stop it from being a big, thick, beautiful tome that delivers what it promises. Given the amount of concept art made for the film I have to assume this is only Vol. 1 of 10.



1 comment:

Josh Lange said...

Hi Thom,

I wanted to be the first on your blog to congratulate you on the work you did on The Force Awakens. I finished the book this week, and was in heaven looking at the work you and the concept team contributed to the film. One of my favorite pieces in it was your wide Jakku shot of Rey leaning on that moisture farm sphere and looking up at the moons and planets during a sunset. Really spectacular stuff.

Best,

Josh

www.joshlange.com